In recent years, the average cost of bail has risen from roughly $25,000 to over $50,000. To say the least, many people are unable to pay these exorbitant prices right now. Bail bonds businesses can help in this situation. When you’re in a financial bind or can’t come up with the cash to pay bail, these companies can assist you. Having saying that, there are still a lot of unanswered questions. What factors should you consider while selecting a bail bonds company? What factors go into selecting the best candidate?
That is the question we are here to address today. Continue reading to learn about the crucial aspects to consider when selecting a bail bond company.
What are Bail Bonds?
Let’s start by defining what bail bonds are.
They’re essentially an agreement between the defendant and the court to show up for their trial and pay a specified sum of money. If a fee is agreed upon, a bail bondsman guarantees payment on behalf of the client. Bail bonds are surety bonds, which guarantee that the defendant will appear in court for his or her trial. Bondsmen and their respective courts agree to pay a defendant’s bail if they fail to appear in court.
Factors to consider
- Prior experience – It may go without saying, but you should always choose bail bond businesses with a lot of experience. While there’s nothing wrong with going with a newer firm, established firms have more resources and references to back them up.
In relation to that…
- References – When it comes to choosing a bail bonds firm, references and reviews are vital. This is because it is helpful to rely on the word of others, especially when it comes to something as important as bail. This is a critical deciding factor, whether you’re reading online reviews or checking their references.
- Fees – As previously stated, the standard charge structure is 15% of your bail amount. Some businesses may try to intimidate you into signing contracts or charge you unnecessarily high upfront costs. Keep an eye out for the when choosing who to work with.
- Trustworthiness – Nobody wants the news that they’ve been arrested to get out. Bail is a complicated procedure, and the last thing you want is for your personal details to become public. All of that information will be kept safe by reputable bail bond businesses.
- Accessibility – Paying bail, or failing to do so, might have major ramifications. For this reason, when you call a bail bonds company, they should be able to pick up the phone right away. When it comes to bail bonds, having a business that is constantly available is essential.